The rambling escapist with clipped wings

Monday, April 10, 2006

My thoughts on food and writing and whatnots

Having been to many food tastings and all. I do not call my self a connoisseur. In fact like music, food to me is a matter of whether I like it or not. Rarely do you find bombastic words in my articles on food (for that matter) most of my writing. Pointless I find it to splatter words that mean nothing to me, words that are either from the thesaurus or “epicurean” jargon. I’d rather describe what I feel, about it. Granted my vocabulary sucks, I don’t read enough mags and stuff to proffer my arsenal of witty quotes and stuff.

Which leaves me to wonder this evening as I went to the world gourmet summit, rubbing shoulders with the chefs and who’s who in FnB, three quarters of whom I don’t know, and none of whom that remember me or that I even bother talking to. Most of the time in media dinners and all I’m contented doing my job taking my pics sitting down bothering none and hoping (most of the time unsuccessfully) not being bothered-as it is a travesty to be quiet and minding your own business. Most of the time I just feel out of place in crowds, especially in clubs, pubs and all.
Inadequacy or self consciousness at work? Perhaps. Give me a Spinelli’s or Mr Beans anytime.

Ok I sidetracked a lot. The main question that came to mind tonight is, Do people really like what they eat/see/do/buy/whatever? Or do they like it because it is expensive/exclusive/limited edition/novelty/or whatever?

Point being I’ve tasted many horrible and weird tasting food this evening or in many reviews for that matter?

Chocolate Foie Gras, for example was the nastiest tasting piece of shit I’ve tried (my companion dumped the whole thing in the mouth only to puke it out, thankfully I nibbled and still I puked it out). Or even things like sharksfin. Abalone, birds nests(other than their purported medicinal benefits) Do they really taste that good or are they simple touted good cos they are expensive and exclusive.

In wedding banquets, promotional dinners, or when ever you want a treat, being the Asians we are these are the most common things that will be screamed wanting.

But do they really taste all that good. Sure they are expensive, but I don’t understand why force yourself to eat something nasty and expensive just for the sake of when a simple 2 bucks will buy you a papaya and lemon or popiah (ok am biased slot in your fave non expensive yummy food).

Back to writings, am I a selfish writer? Writing the way I like rather than like other lifestyle/travel/features writers..granted some do writel simply, beautifully and non bombastically and I kowtow them for it . I know for a fact am not the world’s best writer, or one close to being good for that matter? Will I be outmoded, and deemed boring unacceptable, because I don’t see a point in peppering my articles with words I don’t understand. Maybe am just lazy and inadequate and this be my excuse. Maybe.

But still I maintain my stand. Chocolate Foie Gras is a NONO.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home